Nothing says Fourth of July weekend like a sweet, summertime cocktail (IMO). I wanted to feature a delish recipe for all of you last-minute party planners, and the Distillerista herself posted an irresistibly tasty, tart recipe I couldn’t overlook.
A professionally trained distiller and founder of You & Yours Distilling Co. (soon-to-open in up and coming East Village), Laura Johnson offers a fresh new take on distilling and the craft of creating cocktails. I had the privilege of attending the University of San Diego with Laura, and just recently got to hear about some of her business ventures, and I am SO excited for You & Yours to open! The craft distillery will feature a tasting room and lounge where patrons can sample and buy pours.
With Laura being one of only a handful of female lead distillers in the country, I couldn’t be more thrilled to watch her business grow with Distillerista and Y & Y.
Summer Cherry Boulevardier
Recipe makes 1 cocktail
- 2 oz your favorite Bourbon or Rye whiskey
- 1 oz your favorite Italian-style bitter liquor (i.e. Campari, Aperol, etc.)
- 1 oz. Leopold Bros. Tart Cherry Liqueur
- cherries or berries of choice to garnish
- In a mixing glass combine whiskey, bitter liquor and cherry liqueur. Add ice.
- Using a bar spoon stir for 20-30 seconds, keeping the back of the spoon flush with the inside of the glass.
- Using a hawthorne strainer, strain liquid into a rocks, DOF or coupe glass (large format ice cube optional)
- Garnish as desired and enjoy!
Thanks for the recipe, Laura! Be sure to keep up with Laura on Instagram at @laurakayj for details on the Y & Y opening dates and more on the craft of curating cocktails on her blog, Distillerista. Cheers!
Happy Fourth, y’all! X
*All photos are from Distillerista.com.